We sat down with two of the lead organizers of J and Beyond 2012, Robert Deutz and Brian Teeman, who shared with us a few upcoming treats in store for JAB12. This year's event runs from May 18th - 20th, in Bad Nauheim, Germany, where Elvis Presley was based during his military stint. J and Beyond is an event geared towards developers and designers... In the words of Brian Teeman, "If you think you can't afford to go, you can't afford NOT to go!"
JOOMSTEW EXCLUSIVE - There are still tickets available, and as a special offer to JoomStew, Robert and Brian are offering the early-bird rate of 149 euros to the first 5 JoomStew listeners who sign up using the code joomstew . Go to www.jandbeyond.org now to take advantage of this special!
JoomStew will once again be recording live from JAB, so dust off your Blue Suede Shoes and join us in one of our panel discussions! Here are last year's JoomStew sessions from J and Beyond 2011.
JoomStew Radio - J and Beyond 2012 Preview Show Podcast
JoomStew Radio - J and Beyond 2012 Preview Show MP3 Download
JoomStew Radio RSS Feed
- We are now up to Joomla 2.5.4, and with that we have a new and improved updater that has been added to core. Joomla! Update, is based on Nicholas Dionysopoulos’ experience dealing with updating across a wide variety of hosts using his Akeeba Backup, Kickstart and AdminTools. So, all of you who update to 2.5.4 will be able to use it to update to 2.5.5. Read more: http://community.joomla.org/blogs/community/1564-new-and-improved-updater.html
- This past week, it was announced that the Joomla core files have been downloaded more than 30 million times from Joomla.org! Joomla now averages around 1 million downloads every month. (NB: No records were kept from Sept 2005 - until sometime in 2007.)
- Google Summer of Code: The student deadline has passed, and the mentor deadline is just around the corner, April 20th! They are looking for high-quality developers who can commit to the summer schedule and mentor a student. More details: http://community.joomla.org/blogs/community/1560-join-our-google-summer-of-code-success-story.html
RV to RD - J and Beyond is now entering its 3rd year as a truly International Joomla Conference. From what we’ve seen, it’s been a huge success each year. How are things for this year’s event?
DH to BT - Another great schedule has been posted for this year’s sessions. Can you talk a bit about the process you go through to determine the speakers and sessions you will host this year?
RV to RD - The PLT has scheduled another Roadmap meeting to coincide with this years J and Beyond conference and from the looks of the new schedule just released, you guys have added some breakout sessions to support that. Can you tell us a bit about your work with the Joomla PLT this year?
DH to BT - JAB created the Joomla Open Source Creative and Artistic Recognition awards that have become somewhat popular among the community. Can you tell us about the process for that and what’s changed this year? (Nominations for all these awards will be collected until 27th April.)
RV to RD - In the past, you’ve made available tickets and various sponsorships to attendees on a case by case basis. This year, you’ve established a Scholarship Program. Can you tell us a bit about how that’s going?
DH to BT - Will we see video again this year for the sessions? And, can we still get tickets to attend the event?
RV to RD - How’s sponsorship going for this year’s event?
DH to BT - Last year’s theme was the Knights of Open Source, this year you are basing it around Elvis Presley? Will we have a special musical evening?
Working in the Community
If you want to get involved, there are lots of ways to do that!
- Andy Tarr is leading the Roadmaps sessions at JAB12 this May. There is a call for a variety of proposed or existing Production Working Groups, even if you aren’t attending JAB, you can still join a working group! Check out the link: http://community.joomla.org/blogs/community/1559-joomla-roadmap-meeting-production-working-groups-a-lightning-talks.html
- Help Wanted in the Community... check the Joomla Forum for opportunities. http://forum.joomla.org/viewforum.php?f=681&sid=10b7cf221e27a8d885b9046a6cf89ed3
- Become an author! Write an article for the Joomla Community Magazine! http://magazine.joomla.org
Submit your News!
If YOU have news we can use, send it to us via the Submit Your News! form on the JoomStew website.